Fascinated By Fungi: Dr. Gordon A. Walker
Dr. Gordon Walker has a PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from UC Davis. His graduate research focused on wine microbiology, yeast physiology, and the microbial ecology of fermentation. A full list of his publications can be found on his Research Gate Profile.
After receiving his doctorate in 2016, Dr. Walker worked at Opus One Winery for two harvests, isolating wild yeast for wine production and establishing redox potential as process parameter for the wine industry. He continues to work along side the wine industry as a post-doctorate scholar at UC Davis. He is active in the world of Bay Area biotechnology and innovation. You can connect professionally with Dr. Walker via his LinkedIn Profile.
Dr. Walker also consults on a variety of wine, microbiology, and fermentation related projects, more information is available on GordonWalkerConsulting.com
Beyond his obsession with fungi, Dr. Walker enjoys keeping succulents, gardening, cooking for friends, and spending quality time with his cat.
Featured Media on Dr. Gordon Walker
- UC Davis Alumni Profile: Fascinating Fungi with Dr. Fun Guy (Gordon Walker, ’16 Ph.D. Biochemistry, Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology)
- Article in the Napa Register: "This Napan Takes to the hills. It's fungi season!"
- "Fun with Fermentation and Yeast" An Interview with Dr. Gordon Walker by the Mushroom Revival Podcast
- "Ep. 19: Fascinated by Fungi - Foraged Cuisine, Science Communication & the Hidden Universe of Yeast (feat. Dr. Gordon Walker)" Welcome to Mushroom Hour Podcast
- A compilation of Fascinated By Fungi Footage as featured on BuzzFeed (Facebook)
- A timelapse video I took of Dog Vomit Slime Mold - Fuligo septica posted on the Discovery Channel Instagram
- Podcast interview "Little Da Vincis" with Christian Amyx
- Podcast Interview on "Flower Power Garden Hour" with Marlene Simon
- California Academy of Sciences NightSchool: Fungus Among Us (COVID Edition)
"In The Know" Compilation Video